Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"Super Gitzo" Tripod Questions

PacificSlew

Duvall
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PacificSlew Registered since 11th Nov 2005
Fri 11-Nov-05 05:00 PM

I am getting ready to purchase a new tripod setup and would like to clear up a few things before proceeding. I’ve been reading the threads on this forum for about the last month and don’t think I’m repeating the same old questions, I apologize in advance if I am though.

I’m shooting with a D2x; largest lens I own is the 70-200 however I do rent up to the 200-400 on occasion and thus would like to support up to this size lens. I shoot mostly landscape / wildlife; and am cursed with being 6’4” tall… which essentially rules out the 1227/1228 series tripods for me as they are too short.

Now on to my questions:

1. I’m looking at either the 1325 or the 1327; the difference between them is the center column (which I wont use); hence get the 1325 correct? However in the tripod FAQ there is this comment about the 1327:
“The G1327 -detail at right- has been tested as having even better anti-vibration design and, although slightly heavier, very likely it should be preferred over the G1325 for professional work.”
Can anyone explain in more detail as to how it has better anti-vibration design? Is it worth it? I don’t mind paying the extra money if the 1327 is indeed superior to the 1325.

2. M10/M20 Ballhead? Obviously the M20 is recommended for the bigger lenses; is there any disadvantage to using the M20 with smaller lenses (17-35, 70-200, etc)? Once again, I don’t mind the extra weight and I only want to purchase one ball head. I plan on going with the M20 unless I hear back that its harder to use than the M10 with the smaller lenses; I’m hoping this isn’t the case. Quick release version… if I want to control the head with my left hand I get the left hand version correct?

3. TB-30 Vibration plate. How do these work? Do they make that much of a difference? I haven’t been able to dig up much information on these; any insight would be appreciated.

4. Titanium spikes TS-327. Sounds like this is a permanent modification to the tripod; which I’ll surely find beneficial outdoors. Do people just not use these indoors or are they not damaging to hardwood floors, etc? Are there rubber caps available?

Thank in advance for assistance on these questions. I have only recently discovered Nikonians.org and I’m blown away by how much useful information is contained here.

Cheers,

George

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "Super Gitzo" Tripod Questions
Reply message RE:
Reply message RE:
Reply message RE:
Reply message RE:

G