Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"Super Gitzo": is there really an advantage?

Dagberg

Berkeley, US
213 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dagberg Registered since 30th Aug 2003
Mon 18-Oct-04 06:23 PM

I'm contemplating purchasing a Gitzo CF tripod in the 1325/1327 "family," and there are decisions to be made. Many wildlife photographers just buy the 1325 legs, eschewing any kind of column or added base. This saves money and weight, and seems to provide fabulous support. However, I have noticed some postings and ads for the Markins "tripod bases" for the Gitzo CF tripods. It seems that to utilize this gizmo one buys the full Gitzo with column (in my case, the 1327), and then doctors the center column apparatus, ending up with the Markins TB adding "additional support."

To get to this point would cost about $130 more than simply buying the 1325 legs. So I hope it's reasonable to ask: is this extra expense (and trouble) really worth it? Some photographers have expressed the view that Markins actually is simply taking advantage of the fact that the Gitzo legs with no column is inherently more stable than the legs with column, and that the Markins device really is largely a gimmick.

I'm certainly willing to be open-minded here, as I want to end up with something that is optimally stable for use with very long lenses, etc.

Can people with experience with these various set-ups and technologies offer opinions as to what works best here? Thanks for all opinions and all replies!
Doug

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "Super Gitzo": is there really an advantage?
Reply message RE:
Reply message RE:
Reply message RE:
     Reply message RE:
          Reply message RE: Wimberley Sidekick
               Reply message RE: Wimberley Sidekick

G