Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

will i regret the kirk BH-3 relative to the M10

NurglesP

NZ
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NurglesP Registered since 28th Jun 2004
Thu 12-Aug-04 10:59 PM

hey there,

i am on the early stage of my amature photography hobby. i plan on taking it easy and developing my skills concurrently with the equipment that i aquire. i have recently purchased the D70 with the kit lens, there is no doubt that i am loveing it and learning a lot. i have had a piont and shoot digital that i compleatly outgrew, and mucked about with an slr years ago, gave it up due to being a poor student and not able to pay for processing.

currently my plan is not succumb to lens lust by geting numerous lenses (no matter how shiney they are), i firstly want to learn the capabilities of the kit lens and body. as such, many people have mentioned the the most important aid for a photographer is the tripod, so this is my next goal. as i am taking the long view, i want something that will last decades, not years.

i plan to explore some night time photography, and panarama's first, maybe a few bracketed tricks with photoshop.

so now to the question at hand, there is no doubt that the Markins M10 is brilliant(40kg load), it is also almost half again as expensive as the similar (with respect to size and wieght)Kirk BH-3(10kg load).

at this stage it is hard enough imagining getting the 70-200 VR 2.8 let alone anything bigger than 300mm F4. so to me at this stage i just don't see a justification for the M10.

one thing i am very curious about is their reative ability to tension the ball, allowing you to move it but for it to stay where you leave it. is the M10 better than the BH-3, if so by how much?

if i get the kirk will i regret not getting markins?

i want to get this investment right, i can explore the legs localy (i live in new zealand) but i am unable to get a hands on impression about these two ball heads so any comments would be greatly appretiated.

my list after the tripod, goes SB-800, a compromise macro-telephoto like a sigma 70-300mm, i am keen on exploring macro and with a good tripod and flash i think things sould turn out well.

at that stage i will start thinking about some more serious glass, a real macro, fast telephoto, faster walk around, mabey get something for the wide end. the thing is i am in no hurry.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: will i regret the kirk BH-3 relative to the M10

G