Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod and Head for D800 landscape and Macro

paulfree17

Montville, US
132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
paulfree17 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2009
Mon 04-Nov-13 03:49 PM | edited Mon 04-Nov-13 03:53 PM by paulfree17

First off let me start out by saying I am a serious hobbyist and not a professional. I enjoy shooting landscapes, and macro and occasionally architecture and night photography when travelling.

I am 60+ years old and do not go on long backpacking or hiking trips but I need something light enough to carry on my camera bag when travelling.

My biggest lens for every day use is the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VR but I do have a Sigma 150-500 that I use on rare occasions when shooting animals and birds when I get the opportunity.

That being said I am considering the following:

Gitzo 2541EX Series 2 (I like the tiltable extension for macro work and the fact that it folds to 21" to fit in a suitcase. I am looking at the acratech GP since it has a leveling head and is very light and I would think the gimbal capabilities would work with my 70-200 with a 2x converter or my sigma 150-500. That setup would cost me around $1200.

For about half that price I was looking at the Vanguard Acra Pro 284 and the vanguard BB200H head. I have read all the articles extolling the virtues of Gitzo and buying one tripod for a lifetime. (I currently have a Benro Travel angel which I bought when I was shooting a D90 and my biggest lens was the 18-200). I still carry that around when walking through a city since it folds to about 16" and fits in my backpack.

If I was a professional and could write off the cost the GITZO would be a no-brainer. As a serious hobbyist I need some convincing that spending an extra $600 is going to be worth it in the long run. And whether either or both of these systems would suit my needs.

PFotos-By-PFreedman

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripod and Head for D800 landscape and Macro

G