Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Tripod & Head help!

ajkjr

Cincinnati, US
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajkjr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2008
Fri 02-Aug-13 04:54 PM

Okay, this is a bit long, sorry, but big expenditure and want to do it right. Shooting D4 with biggest lense being the new 80-400 also have a 70-200.

I want to buy a carbon fiber tripod and ball head. I am shooting nature mainly, sometime from a bass boat, but also want to do panoramas as well. So looking for advise the tripod. Leaning towards Gitzo but maybe RRS Versa series. If I want to shoot panorama's should I get a leveling base or can you get level accurate enough with level on tripod? Maybe buy all from RRS?

Have looked at RRS BH-55 head, looked at Arca-Swiss Cube, looks like it does everyhitng but is more than i want to spend and have heard some bad things about them. Anyone else make a good geared head at a more reasonable orice?

I do not want to buy a Nodal head for Panoram's now but if I get into it a bit more heavily I may do that. My wife is real estate agent so maybe Mosaics of her houses?

So just looking for some guidance, opinions etc. As always, thanks for the help.

Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New Tripod & Head help!

G