Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Suggestion for Studio Alum. Tripod

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Sun 30-Jun-13 05:19 PM

Currently, I have a 40 year-old Gitzo tripod, with elevating center column and a Giotto's ball head. Only for use in the home. I have always like heavy, stable tripods.

But the Gitzo, weighing in at 8lbs, is a bit too heavy. And it is cumbersome, and center column rising action isn't smooth.

I just put a bid in on eBay for an RRS Ballhead and Arca-style QR. What brand of tripod could I look at for a replacement? I don't need or want Carbon Fiber. Something with center column, total height of about 60" at full extension. Something with good locking mechanisms on the legs, and a smooth center column action. Maximum load requirement would be a Nikon D7000 and 80-200 f2.8. So figure about 11lb load maximum. And one that is easier to work, adjust and set up.

I figure I can sell off my Gitzo/Giottos combo for about $150 to defray the cost.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G