Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Markins TB-21 and Gitzo GT 2542L question

ty57

Hope, US
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ty57 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2010
Sun 23-Jun-13 08:21 PM

"Do you have to use a Markins TB-21 base in order to mount a Markins Q10 ballhead on a Gitzo 2542L tripod with the center column removed?"

I've been trying to find the answer to this question for the last two hours and, although it might be right in front of me, I can't seem to wrap my head around it. My wife and I have been going to Glacier National Park, Yellowstone and the Canadian Rockies for the last four years, and plan to return again in September. We frequently go on 10 to 12 mile hikes. I just purchased the Nikon D600, and am using the 24-120 f/4 for my walk around lens, and also have the 16-35 f/4, and 70-300. I carry all three lenses when we hike, along with a Manfrotto 190XPROB. I am 6'00" tall. I am looking to update my tripod, while cutting down on as much weight as possible. I am interested in the Gitzo 2542L.

My plan was to remove the center column, and hoped to be able to attach the Markins Q10 ballhead directly on the tripod. This seemed like a good combination for less weight while hiking, along with providing more stability.

In looking at the Markins website, I came across the TB-21 base, which they advertise as "a tripod base to enable to remove the rapid center column of selected Gitzo Series 2 tripods". However, they also say that "Tripod bases are not required at all to use Markins ballheads". These seem to be conflicting statements. So, do you have to use the TB-21 when you remove the center column, or is it just recommended to provide more stability? I trust that someone here has run across this before. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Markins TB-21 and Gitzo GT 2542L question