Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Stop screws for a Kirk LP 47 replacement foot.

jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA
1468 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004
Thu 06-Jun-13 04:33 PM

My second hand 500VR lens came with a Kirk LP47 replacement foot but no stop screws/pins. (This foot has the Arca-Swiss style grooves built-in so no adapter plate is required)

Due to using the lens with a (lightweight) D800 it balances fairly far back on the footplate and I can't use 1/4" grubscrews (setscrews)in the tripod holes as safety stops. I need to use the much smaller holes provided at the far ends of the plate.

Kirk enterprises sells these as an extra but is out of stock and their $1.25 cost will be more like $20 by the time it is posted to me in South Africa.

Can anybody advise what thread/length is required? I may be able to get something similar from a local bolt supplier although tried a few today and they were shaking their heads at the small size.

Alternatively - how feasible to drill and tap for M3 (metric 3mm) cap/allen screws which I can buy very easily in SA. I have the tools to do this. Obviously I will check the height of the screw head does not exceed the depth of the rebate in the mounting clamp.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit

G