Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod hunting, help choosing the right height

JMontes

Chandler, US
63 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JMontes Registered since 11th Jun 2007
Wed 05-Jun-13 04:51 AM

Hi all, I'm in the market to do the big upgrade, but my hardest thing I'm dealing with is knowing what height I need my tripod to be. All I can compare it to right now is my current old Manfrotto 3021BPro. That tripod with the legs fully extended w/o the column extended is 54.5". I have a Kirk BH-3 on top of that. My D700 with a Kirk plate pretty much puts the eyepiece right at my eye level, and I'm 5'9" tall.

After doing a lot of reading the last few days, I'm thinking I have to go with the 3 series (looking at Gitzo). I have a D3 and a D700, my largest lens is a 300 f/2.8. I have only used the 300 on a monopod shooting my kids' soccer games. I'm sure at some point I could put it on a tripod, I just don't know how often I'd do it (next size down is my 70-200 and smaller). I didn't think choosing a tripod would be such a headache, but oh man it's driving me crazy. Picking a monopod is so much easier!! I have read how people give up things here or there depending on their #1 concern like "fitting in a suitcase", not having to hunch over, etc. Ideally I'd like the weight of a 2 series (wouldn't we all?) but I'm just not sure that's the best investment considering my gear. I have already decided on basically building a Magica system, it's just the legs holding me back right now.

I guess my question is, how do you determine your height requirement? Basic math tells me I need an "L" version, even at 5'9" tall. It seems that the Gitzo's are designed to use that center column. I will be doing some product photography (ideal environment) and some nature/landscape stuff. I don't see anything bigger than my 300 in my future so no bird shooting for me. I guess the stress about this comes from the cost. If the tripods were $200, I'd just buy 3 and not worry about it so much

Any input would be appreciated. And yes, I'm heading to bed and I'm going to measure the diagonal length of my carry-on

Thanks,

John

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripod hunting, help choosing the right height

G