Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

One More Time - HELP please

cwils02

HIXSON, US
826 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012
Fri 24-May-13 04:00 AM

Okay folks, I am ready to drop the hammer and some serious coin for a tripod, head, etc. I just want confirmation that I am doing the right thing here.

BTW, jrp has been kind enough to setup the new MAGICA-BV Series, so I can get the new Markins Ball Head with their new "gimbal" arrangement.

My primary camera is a D7100. I shoot many lenses. Last year when I started shooting hummingbirds, butterflies, etc. with my 70-300 VR, I clearly saw the limitations of my ancient, but still popular tripod, the Slik U-212 I believe. Then when I bought the Nikon 300 f/4 with no VR, oops....

Okay. I can't see me getting past a D800e, a 300 f/4, an 80-400 Vr, or a Sigma Bigma. Don't think my 74 yr old body can take any more weight. I have been able to get a few handheld 300 f/4 photos that didn't make people puke. I am now down to 5'8" from my former 6' frame. That puts my eye level at 64". When I read the max heights on some of the Series 3 tripods at 52 & 53"., I'm not sure who they were designed for. Am I missing something? The GT3541L max height is only 59.1" high. Is the additional height of the plates & heads/gimbals supposed to bring the height up to my eye level, or what? With my back, I'm not too good at stooping over, and craning my neck backwards for BIF. Please help me out on this one.

I have ordered a Kirk L-Plate for my D7100, and a Kirk Replacement Collar/plate for my 300 f/4. The MAGICA System that I am thinking of buying is the MAGICA-BV Series 3 - 4 sections Tall at $1,843.80.
https://www.ppsna.com/product_info.php/cPath/65_136/products_id/1396?osCsid=lg8pm3l8utf3v6r1dn8i6g0e77

There is also a rebate from Gitzo of $100-$150 until June 15, I believe.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

BTW, is there a section on here to get donations for elderly folks that are on a fixed income?

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: One More Time - HELP please

G