Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Securing Ballhead to Tripod

MauiKane

KIHEI, HI, US
278 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MauiKane Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2013
Fri 17-May-13 12:47 AM

I just bought a Gitzo GT3541LS (no center column) and a Markins Q20 ballhead. I have screwed down the ballhead to the tripod base as best I can. At first I tightened the set screw from the bottom of the tripod base to the bottom of the ballhead and then the ballhead wouldn't pan. I found on the internet (not on Markins instructions) that I should not use the tripod's set screws as it may mess up the pan head. As soon I loosened the set screw, the Markins Q20 panned correctly.

Now on my first outing with the combination, I find that the ballhead loosens and turns on the tripod base. Naturally, that concerns me that the ballhead may loosen all the way and my D800 would hit the ground.
Any suggestions to better secure the ballhead on the tripod without using the set screw on the tripod head would be welcome.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Securing Ballhead to Tripod