Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do you mount the sidekick

Fovea

Colombo, LK
3653 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002
Fri 10-May-13 05:55 PM

After months or may be years of contemplation, going back and forth between 500mm and 600mm lenses and more recently between 600mm and 800mm lenses, I have finally decided to buy a 500mm f/4 VR II lens.

The final decision was somewhat easier than I thought. After realizing D800/D4 could autofocus at f/8, I tested a 500mm lens with a TC20EIII at the local store and immediately placed an order for the lens, bought a Second D800(E) and listed the D700 on eBay. 1000mm at f/8 with AF at half the price of 800mm was a no brainer

........well that bit had nothing to do with the question...but I had to tell Nikonians

My lens has arrived this morning and I had bit of time to mount it on the tripod and check things out.
All this time I used to mount my 300mm f/4 + TC14E with the sidekick on the left and slanted the sidekick backwards to avoid the camera hitting the ball head. This morning, even with the 500mm lens, camera (with the grip) kept on hitting the ballhead tension knob when pointed upwards. This time, instead of slanting the sidekick backwards I turned the ball head around and mounted the sidekick on right and rotated the mounting shoe 180 degrees and found this configuration to be much more user friendly than the method I was used to....
Here's an image of my rig ...

Click on image to view larger version

any ideas... comments....?

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Commercial photography & digital imaging solutions

G