Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Backpacking tripod?

ajd1170

Colorado Springs, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajd1170 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2004
Wed 01-May-13 05:53 AM

Hi, folks:

I'll be hiking the trails in Glacier National Park later this summer, and I'm in need of a lightweight tripod. I will be carrying a D700 and D7100, both with grips, and the longest lens I will be taking is the 70-300. I will probably take my Kirk BH-1, although it does weigh 2 lbs. I need a tripod that will fit into a carry-on case, so it must be less than 24" when folded.

I have narrowed my choices to the Gitzo GT1542 and the Induro CT114. The Gitzo is much more expensive, even with the current rebate. The Induro has 8X CF tubes, while the Gitzo has 6X CF tubes. Sorry, but I don't recall the respective diameters. The Induro includes both regular and spiked feet, a tool kit, and a bag with a strap. I have checked and cross-checked the specs on both of these tripods, and I am leaning toward the Induro. I don't extend the center column unless absolutely necessary, so both will be too short. I guess that is one of the compromises that must be made. Although I have a Gitzo with a Wimberley that I use for my big glass, and a Manfrotto that I use when not wandering too far from the road, they are both too heavy to haul around all day. I have no experience with the Induros.

I would greatly appreciate any comments regarding the stability and quality of the Induro from anyone that has used one of their CT series tripods, and recommendations for other legs if you think my choices are inappropriate.

Thanks for your help.

A. J.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Backpacking tripod?