Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Does the D800/E change min. support standards?

James_F

Prescott, US
567 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
James_F Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007
Mon 29-Apr-13 06:11 PM

I've become concerned about my present support system being stout enough now that I have moved from a D300 to a D800E. Does the significantly higher resolution of the D800/D800E models (images more vulnerable to support vibration) effectively "change the minimum support standards" that have been articulated often in this forum?

My gear and what I am trying to use: Gitzo 3540LS (w/ NSN safety plate) and a Markins M10. What concerns me is when I mount my 300/2.8 + a TC17E-II onto a D800E and on a Sidekick mounted on the M10. That's 10.35 pounds (at 510mm focal length FX) on top of the Markins M10 ... on top of a 3540LS. The percentage of sharp shots is going down, especially when I try to shoot in some kind of burst mode. I am certainly now captive to the process of "mirror up" or at least 3-second shutter release delay and I use a wireless remote. OK, I can get a nice shot with that routine, but not very good for wildlife shooting (during which we usually encounter less than ideal light). I wonder now if I'll ever be able to effectively use any kind of burst/action shooting. My technique is good (albeit I admit sometimes sloppy) so I don't think that's the issue.

I look to you all for feedback. In the meantime, I've considered what I could do to enhance support. I really do NOT want to replace the 3540LS since it fits nicely in to a 22in. suitcase and new Gitzos CFs are now approaching a thousand bucks. I've thought that perhaps a Q20 in place of the M10 might help, especially since the Q20 is only about an ounce or two heavier than the M10. But would that really help (I ask since clearly this forum has sung the praises of the M10 as being strong enough)? A full Wimberley in place of the Sidekick and the M10 would be a net increase of about 3/4 of a pound, but less flexibility for when I want to change to a lens that's not gimbaled. Besides, that's just piling more weight on top of a series 3 set of legs. As you can tell, I clearly have my bloomers in a knot. Feedback?

Jim F. from Prescott, AZ
http://jamesfarrell.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Does the D800/E change min. support standards?

G