Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Grafting a Manfrotto ball head on to a Sunpro tripod

bluefeather505

Albuquerque, US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
bluefeather505 Registered since 10th Apr 2013
Fri 12-Apr-13 02:24 PM

Hi folks, I used the search function, but I couldn't find just what I was looking for.
I have a Sunpro tripod, the one with carbon fiber legs. It is an all right pod but the elevate and pan head that came on it is a piece of junk. I removed the head and it looks to be a 1/4-20 stud that the head screws on to. I ordered a Manfrotto ball head, 496C, I think, but I have not received it yet.
I am wondering what size threaded hole will be in the bottom of the ball head.
If the Manfrotto requires a larger stud, I will gently but firmly clamp up the center post and then drill out the 1/4-20.
Can anyone tell me what size stud I will need to put in?
I will drill and tap threads to the larger size and probably ad a few drops of JB Weld as well.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Grafting a Manfrotto ball head on to a Sunpro tripo...

G