Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First Impressions of Sirui T2205X tripod and K-20X Ball Head

JETC

US
36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JETC Registered since 15th Jan 2013
Sat 06-Apr-13 05:07 PM

Hi all!

My cheap and heavy Ravelli tripod finally broke at the twist lock points and was in need of a new tripod to travel and hike with. I thought it was time to invest in a decent travel-size tripod, however, Gitzos and other high-end brand name tripods were out of my price range. I stumbled upon a Chinese company called Sirui and they seem to be recent in the tripod scene at the North American market, and I did not find too many reviews. I would like to say that they are definitely worth taking a look at. 6 year warranty for both tripod and ball head for a combined cost of ~$420.

I am not listing out the specifications since it is readily available in the net. First impressions of the 8x carbon fiber T2205X are the twist locks are smooth to operate and very easy to deploy. Even though it has 5 sections, it was quick to deploy due to the half twist turns to unlock/lock. Very stable fully extended even with the center column extended all the way up. Spiked feet are deployed by twisting the rubber feet as well. Folds very compact and has a carry strap if you do not want to use the carry case bag.

The K-20X ball head resembles the Markin M10/M20 in function. It is very smooth and can handle my D600 + 24-300mm + sb400 flash + OP/TECH USA strap (~5.4lbs) easily. I situated the camera in various slanted positions and it was able to lock it without any problems even with the lens fully extended. The look and feel of the ball head exudes high quality.

Hope this helps others when they are considering another "bang for your buck" travel tripod.

Links:
http://www.sirui-photo.us/
https://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=434&topic_id=13482&mesg_id=13482&page=3

G