Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Arca Swiss Z1 Lever release w Kirk plates - first impressions

BGD600

UK
317 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012
Thu 04-Apr-13 03:18 PM

Hi all,

I know that there isn't much info available on the Z1 in these parts and, as I've just received mine, I thought I'd post some early feedback.

Background - upgrading from a Giottos 1600 series (which I rather liked) with AS style QR.

On first impressions, the Z1 has a great feel to it and does feel like a precision instrument. Not to say that the giottos felt cheap and nasty, but the Z1 feels better (is it worth 3 * the price? I've not tested enough to confirm that yet). Ball movement is smooth and the elliptical ball seems to deliver on its promises -tested with the 70-200 f/2.8 and it was a pleasure to use.

The Lever style QR is very easy to operate and also very easy to configure to match the kirk lens plate that I have received - plenty of scope for very small adjustments and it grips very well. Time will tell if the clamp is a keeper, or whether I revert to twist lock/anoter clamp (RRS/Kirk) - for the moment, this seems only likely if the clamp adjustment moves over time.

I've yet to receive the Kirk plate for my body, but will drop a note on that when it arrives.

Slight gripe - the kirk plate has security bolts that you can fit to stop the plate falling out if the qr clamp is half open, but these are too short to work with the arca clamp (the clamp also has security posts, but these are too short to work with the kirk - I suspect I may be able to find a way around this with a visit to the right hw store).

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Arca Swiss Z1 Lever release w Kirk plates - first i...

G