Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Drats, another question (l-plates) - it'll be the last for a while (honest!)

BGD600

UK
317 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012
Thu 28-Mar-13 02:33 PM

Hi all,

I've got a new AS z1 coming my way and have ordered the custom plate for the d600 with grip and also the tripod plate for the 70-200 vr.

I'm now wondering about l-plate vs standard...

My gear is: 16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8

For most of my outdoor tripod work I typically shoot in landscape orientation and as I will have the tripod foot for the 70-200 (it has the lens collar), I don't see an advantage to an lplate there for portait orientation.

The 24-70 I would most likely shoot hand-held for portrait work, but can see that I may wish to use the tripod. The 16-35 would again likely be in landscape orientation, but I can see that I may wish to have the flexibility to go portrait too.

Thinking about the above, I can't make a compelling case for the lplate (which is a LOT more expensive that the standard) as it seems to me that the ballhead should have little difficulty with either the 16-35 or 24-70 in portrait orientation using the drop slot.

Having said all of that, I've been wrong before, so would really appreciate your insights.

Cheers,
B

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Drats, another question (l-plates) - it'll be the l...

G