Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What is the Rationale for Getting an L-Bracket?

Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US
762 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bravozulu Registered since 04th Jun 2012
Sun 24-Mar-13 05:41 PM | edited Sun 24-Mar-13 05:52 PM by Bravozulu

I was wondering about this, so I went on the RRS website and navigated to their FAQ answers.
Here's what they seemed to say about L-Brackets:

a)Keeps the weight of camera/lens centered over the ball head when shooting vertical. As opposed to dropping the camera down into the ball slot.

b) Provides access to the electrical ports on the left side of the camera.

c) Makes changeover from landscape mode to portrait very, very quick on a tripod. With the drop down slot method you are forced to level the camera and adjust the tripod and/or column height to get the lens back to the same height as landscape.

Do I understand that correctly? As a hobbyist, I can spare the time to fiddle with tripod adjustments, so I don't care about speed or ease. And with the heavy, clunker Gitzo I own, center of gravity isn't important.

Furthermore, it seems and unnecessary bother to need one model L-bracket for camera body alone, and then another model L-bracket for the camera with battery grip attached. Maybe this isn't true of brackets made by companies other than RRS. But in any case, they are not selling this hardware for peanuts.

I raise these issues because of the regularity of RRS brackets for sale on the WTS forum.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What is the Rationale for Getting an L-Bracket?

G