Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod question converning teleconvertors and DX/FX

DavidN4

Johns Creek, US
272 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011
Sun 10-Mar-13 12:13 PM | edited Sun 10-Mar-13 12:14 PM by DavidN4

I have a question concerning how you would determine your minimum desired leg diameter in regards to lens length.

I've seen that when someone is using only up to a 70-200mm, a series 2 (28mm) is generally recommended. And it seems that when someone has a 70-300mm, generally as series 3 (32mm) is recommended.

What about an 80-200 AF-S with a 1.4 teleconverter? It's still physically a 200mm lens, but is effectively close to 300mm.

Also, what about DX vs FX? Could the "magnification/crop" of the DX increase the possibility that it might show minute vibrations? How does that work into figuring the desired leg diameter size? Would a 70-300 on a D7000 be calculated the same as a 70-300 on a D600, or would you ideally consider it more like a 450mm on the DX?

To be clear - I am not having any issues with my current tripod, but just have these questions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G