Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Help me downgrade my tripod

Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Sun 03-Mar-13 03:47 PM

I have had years of frustration with the Gitzo+Markins combination and I want to downgrade to something I get along with better.

The problem is the main features of the Markins head are not useful for me and I spent too much time fighting with it.

The rotating base for panoramic photos is purely a nuisance. I don't do panoramas. The only purpose of that base is to come unscrewed, which it does almost every time I used the tripod. (I tried the suggestion of tightening things with a strap wrench, but that's not persistent.) So no panorama feature unless it comes with a true lock, pin-in-hole rather than friction.

I am also incapable of getting good results without constantly changing the ball friction setting. So I don't see any benefit in having a ball head. If I need to lock and unlock anyway, what do I gain? (I am limiting myself to one tripod, otherwise I would try a gimbal head.)

I do not aspire to the goal of one photography blogger of being able to hit the end of a lens and see no motion in the viewfinder. If that's a matter of skill I don't have it. If it's purely equipment I don't want to spend that much money.

I want a camera and small lens to hold still. I can live with needing one hand constantly on a 5-10 pound lens for fine tuning, which is what I have to do now anyway.

What do I want?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Help me downgrade my tripod