Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
cho10

portsmouth, nh, US
79 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
cho10 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2010
Thu 14-Feb-13 09:24 AM | edited Thu 14-Feb-13 09:30 AM by cho10

Hello to all.
I'd like to know whether others are curious about the same things I am.
I have a full Wimberley Gimbal which I am very pleased with.

I just bought s new Gitzo 3542LS to replace a carbon fiber Manfrotto with center column that is about 10 years old.
I have looked at different ballheads because of all the articles I have read. I am now undecided between the Kirk BH-1 and the Arca Swiss Z1. I appreciate both the RRS and Markins ballheads but I like the former two more. My heaviest combo will be a D700 with MB-10 and 300mm F/2.8D AF-S (about 10 lbs or 5 kg).

I will be buying one with the screw mechanism to tighten plates as I don't like the lever based quick release models.

On B & H one reviewer said :
"Four days after I received the A-S Z1 from B&H, the screw clamp knob that opens/closes the vice-clamp broke its "captive bead" under normal usage."
This seems inconsistent with what I have read about Arca-Swiss quality control but I was wondering whether anybody else has met with similar construction defects with Arca-Swiss.
Everything that I have read about the Kirk BH-1 indicate that it is similar quality wise and usage wise to the other top 3 (Markins, Arca-Swiss, RRS)

As the Gimbal has proven to be a bit heavy and cumbersome at times I am hoping that the ballhead I choose will offer a lighter solution to carry around when hiking on uneven terrain.

CHO10
Claude H. Ostfeld
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Ballhead choice