Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Backpacking Tripod

MikeBullington

US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MikeBullington Registered since 12th Feb 2013
Tue 12-Feb-13 08:37 PM

I see a couple of threads on this topic, but nothing recent.

I'm looking for a good tripod to strap on the outside of a multi-day backpack. In summer 2012 I did a month long walk on the Oregon Coast and opted to bring a point and shoot because weight was of critical value. I have some regrets when I view the photos in comparison to the scenery I was in.

This coming summer I will be in the backcountry at Crater Lake for two to three weeks and would like to bring my DSLR (currently a D3100). I'll be walking less, so the weight is less a concern (though still a major factor in happy).

This brings up the tripod issue for me. I no longer have one (long story, involving money).

I see the Gitzo G1228 or G1227 was recommended back in 2002. What are people using for extended backcountry work a decade later?

At 3.4 pounds, sans head, it would be my simple heaviest piece of equipment (my tent weighs 1.5 pounds, for instance).

Any suggestions? It's an overwhelming world of tripods out there.

G