Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tabletop tripods and the next size up

Replytoken

Seattle, US
1227 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Replytoken Registered since 08th Mar 2008
Fri 08-Feb-13 02:26 AM

While I love my Gitzo/Markins set-up for my D300 and Nikkor glass, I have also been shooting with some Panasonic and Olympus micro 4/3rd's bodies/lenses this past year because of health conditions. I have enjoyed having access to both systems, and am enjoying the smaller format more than I thought. I purchased a Markins plate to use with the smaller bodies when I want to use my Gitzo, but I also realized that it might be nice to have some type of tabletop or compact tripod to use when the conditions arise.

There are times when I want to photograph items and think that a little tabletop set of legs, like those made by Leica, Kirk, RRS or Manfrotto, would be a nice to have. But, none seem to offer much in the way of a little bit of height, and I have started to wonder weather I might be better served by some of the really compact tripods offered by Sirui, Slik, Giottos and Gitzo. With the latter, I would not extend the legs, so I am not really interested in how they perform fully extended.

My compact cameras/lenses do not weigh nearly what my D300 does, but I am still expecting that either a tabletop or a compact tripod I purchase should perform in a reasonable manner when I am shooting macros or longer exposures. I would also like this setup to be reasonably compact.

I am sure that a Gitzo GT-531 or a Leica tabletop with either a Markins Q3 or a RRS BH-25 probably set the standards for these two types of setups, but I would be interested in hearing what others have used successfully with lighter gear.

One model that has caught my attention is the newly redesigned Sirui T-005X. This new model allows the removal of that dreadful fixed column that plagued the older model. I realize that Sirui is not Gitzo, but if used with its legs (22mm) retracted, I am wondering if this is a step up from the tabletop class? Or, is a compact unit like this more versatile than a tabletop at the expense of stability?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Ken

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tabletop tripods and the next size up