Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Putting together a new tripod system

vladiator

Auckland, NZ
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vladiator Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2009
Mon 04-Feb-13 09:48 PM

Hi

For the last few years I have had Manfrotto 190XPRO + 488RC2 ballhead with my D90. However, now that I acquired 70-200mm lens, I need a more stable tripod.

I note that I purchased my current tripod as a second-hand from a friend, so the issue of how put together a new tripod system is quite new to me.

My biggest lens for the foreseeable future will be 70-200mm. I am, however, planning to move to an FF camera at some point in the future, but not sure which.

The ideal tripod should provide stability for the camera + lens. However, I also do not want it to be so big/heavy that I would not want to take it with me to trips/hikes.

As such, after some research, I think I settled on Gitzo GT2541 legs. I understand that it is a good compromise between the stability and portability.

My first question is what would be a good ballhead for the legs and the lens. Would Markens Q3 be too small, with Q10 being a better choice? The other potential option is Arca-Swiss Z1 sp, which I could buy from B&H at the same time as the tripod legs. Any other manufacturers to consider?

My second question is regarding the quick release plates. Am I able to use a QR plate made by a manufacturer (e.g. A-S) with a ballhead from another manufacturer (e.g. Markins)? Also, QR plates come in different sizes - does it matter?

I note that the Nikonians shop does not seem to sell QR plates. Would any of these A-S plates do (unfortunately the most popular model seems to be currently unavailable) - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Arca-Swiss&ci=4925&N=4075788744+4291613486

Any other parts for the tripod system which I am forgetting about?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

G