Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Light, compact tripod head sought

jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US
146 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011
Fri 01-Feb-13 12:40 AM | edited Fri 01-Feb-13 12:48 AM by jmesseder2

I have a 2 pound carbon-fibre tripod and until now have used Manfrotto ball head. It's compact, supports the camera, and has done me very well for still shooting.

But I intend to employ the D7000 for video as well as stills, and carry hiking as well as used in fixed point shoots. I'd like a single-arm device that will tuck close to the tripod when it's strapped to the side of a Lowepro 200 backpack. (I have a huge three-axis, three-handle Bogen head that's fine for using in the backyard or close to the Jeep, but a tough heavy for packing up a mountain trail.)

I need a head that will pan without tilting, which is impossible to control with a ball head. So I'm looking for advise on a head that, once the tripod is leveled, will pan without changing the other two axis.

I've looked at a couple.

= The $57 item reviewers say does not adequately lock the mount plate.

= The $260 item looks like an excellent fit, bit it weighs more than the tripod.

= Vanguard makes a pistol grip for $121 but I'm not familiar with the name so I'm hesitant.

I'm still looking, but I'm also asking ye who are more experienced for some advice or pointers, please.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Light, compact tripod head sought