Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod head for tilt/shift lens

BR

Glen Mills, US
542 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006
Mon 14-Jan-13 12:10 PM | edited Mon 14-Jan-13 05:43 PM by BR

I am currently using a pan/tilt tripod head (Manfrotto) and am considering switching to a ballhead that uses the Arca-style plates and quick-release clamps. But one of my main uses for the tripod is with a tilt/shift lens and I was wondering if anyone uses a ballhead with such a lens.

With the current setup, it's easy to set the one axis horizontal and then just tilt the camera down when necessary on the other axis (and then use the lens tilt). I'm thinking this would not be as easy with a ballhead - you'd have to monitor the bubble level to make sure the camera stayed horizontal as you tilt it down.

Also, with the seemingly highly recommended Markins bullheads, it appears that the bubble level gets covered with the camera plate, so I don't see how that could be at all useful for this application.

Thanks.

Barry

G