Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Reflections on camera plates

hidesert

Lacey, US
154 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hidesert Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2012
Sun 06-Jan-13 04:52 PM

I'm going to say a few words on a camera support topic that doesn't get much attention: camera plates and brackets.

I'll start by saying I personally don't put too much demand on a support system because I mainly use small primes on my cameras. I do have a couple of longer lenses but they are fairly small and light (a 80-200 F/4.5 AI and a 300 F/4.5 AIS) and they don't get much use. My tripod and ballhead are thus correspondingly modest. I have a Benro A-157 and a Benro B-1 ballhead. This is a 1-series, 3 section, aluminum setup weighing about 4 pounds total. I have read most of the material on this site regarding tripod selection and I am well aware of its shortcomings but still feel it is adequate for my needs at present.

Recently however, I read a post where a fellow stated he tested a tripod by mounting his camera with a long lens and depressed it with a finger to see how long it took to stop vibrating. I tried that with my setup and while I wasn't too displeased with the result (<2 sec) I was shocked to see that nearly all the deflection was ocurring in the joint between the camera and the camera plate! My ballhead came with a universal Arca-Swiss type plate and it appears nicely made. The side which attaches to the camera has six oblong areas milled out and filled with a pebbled rubber gasket material. Now this works fine against a flat metal camera bottom such as my FM2N's. The gasket compresses and a metal to metal fit is obtained. My F6 and F100 cameras have bottoms with their own rubber gasket, however, and when the universal plate's rubber met the camera's rubber it was too much to compress. The result was a wiggly jiggly, non-rigid fit.

The solution of course was to obtain proper plates fitted to the F6 and F100. I did manage to find Kirk plates which have rolled up edges (and no rubber) which fit tight when bolted down with a good metal to metal contact. I have eliminated to weak spot in my system.

Nikon F6, F100, F4s, FM2N, D80, D7100, CoolPix A

Rollei TLR's are my other passion!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G