Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripod for Markins Q10

hijazist

Houston, US
398 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hijazist Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012
Sun 06-Jan-13 06:46 AM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 08:06 AM by hijazist

I know this is somehow reversed since most start with a tripod and inquire about a compatible ball head, but I heard a lot about the Markins Q10 and I just bought one.

My experience in tripod systems is very limited and only with cheap tripods that have a built in heads and release plates. I am looking for a light weight tripod for my heaviest setup (D600 + Grip + Nikon 105 2.8VR, Nikon 70-300VR or Nikon 16-35 f/4) which is compatible with the Q10 ball head. I also don't want to break the bank so I was looking at a couple of used options and my research led me to the Gitzo G1028, Gitzo GT0531 and Feisol 3442 which are all within my budget ($200-$300). However, I am not sure if the Q10 base size fits onto these models.

The other thing that really confuses me is release plates and their compatibility with the ball head's clamp and the camera itself. I am not sure which clamp mine comes with but it has a knob and is called QR 48. How can I mount the D600 on the Q10? And how can I mount the ball head on the tripod? I noticed that some use an extra base that sits between the tripod and the head, is this necessary? There's also different release plate models and techniques with different branding and that confuses the hell out of me, excuse my ignorance

I mainly shoot landscape, macro and a little wildlife. I appreciate your help!

Hussain

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G