Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is a camera L-Plate really that useful for the D7000?

pimadude

Tucson, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pimadude Registered since 28th Nov 2012
Fri 04-Jan-13 03:47 PM

I purchased my Nikon D7000 recently, during the "Black Friday" sales, from B&H Photo. It's a great camera, with an obvious learning curve required to completely "master" the camera's numerous features.

I'm just curious how many Nikonians really consider an L-Plate to be a necessary, or particularly useful accessory for this camera (or any other DSLR)? Since buying my first Nikon DSLR, a D50, I've now bought two camera L-plates, one for the D50 and the next for my subsequent D90.

This lack of interchangeability between the various camera L-Plates for Nikon DSLR's, which could have been easily accommodated by having a slot to fit the screw mounted to the camera's base, has obviously been a boon to the manufacturers of these plates. It does begin to beggar the question of these plate's utility.

I happened to have a camera plate from the very first camera that I used with the Arca-Swiss type tripod head, a Nikon F3HP (with the MD-4 motor drive). This plate perfectly fits my new Nikon D7000. This plate predated the advent of the L-Plate types that seem to have become ubiquitous in subsequent years.

It's really very easy to orient a ball head, like the Arca-Swiss model (I have an Arca Swiss Monoball B1 type), for a vertical shot simply by "flopping" the head over in the slot provided. In many ways, this is less cumbersome than having to demount the camera from an L-Plate horizontal's plane and remount the camera in a vertical or portrait orientation.

There also is a question, in my opinion, about the utility of the camera L-Plate that arises when many of the newer Nikon models are being used for video production. This has required the feature of a slot (which I would have liked from the beginning) to slide the base plate over to allow the connections for an external mic.

I'd be interested in your comments.

Jim

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is a camera L-Plate really that useful for the D700...

G