Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

GT3542LS + BH-1 + Sidekick + ??? Lens

J_Harris

US
781 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
J_Harris Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Awarded for his contribution to the Nikonians Articles section Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011
Tue 01-Jan-13 07:50 PM | edited Wed 02-Jan-13 01:42 AM by J_Harris

This question would probably fit well in Mark's "Full Gimbal or Sidekick?" post, but I don't want to hijack his thread.

I am considering expanding into a new to me style of photography – using a Wimberley Sidekick and medium telephoto lens with my D7000. It is strictly for fun, my credentials go no further than hobbyist and except for a new lens and the sidekick would use equipment I already have. The lenses I’m considering is either a Nikon 300mm f/4D ED-IF with and without a TC-14E II or TC-17EII Teleconverter, OR a Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM.

Looking through the Wimberley website, I did not see any tripod recommendations, but this is what they say about my Kirk BH-1 ball head; “Medium-High Capacity Heads (Will support 500 f/4 sized lenses). Very capable ball head. Slightly heavier and less smooth than Arca-Swiss B1 or Z1 and holds slightly less weight. Does not have the lock-up problems of the Arca-Swiss Monoball.”

I’m considering the combination below:

- Gitzo GT3542LS
- Kirk BH-1 Ball Head
- Wimberley Sidekick
- Nikon 300mm f/4D ED-IF with and without a TC-14E II or TC-17EII Teleconverter OR Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Does anyone use this combination, if so does it work well? Those who do not, but have experience with this type of shooting and any of the individual items, what is your opinion of the combination? What negatives or positives is there?

Edited to change 300 f/2.8 to 500 f/4: Medium-High Capacity Heads (Will support 500 f/4 sized lenses)

Thanks

Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: GT3541LS + BH-1 + Sidekick + ??? Lens