Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

QR plate replacement? How do I find one?

Googlyelmo

Seattle, US
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Googlyelmo Registered since 10th Oct 2012
Fri 14-Dec-12 02:45 PM | edited Fri 14-Dec-12 03:03 PM by Googlyelmo

I recently bought a very nice F4 w/MF-23 back. The compact Benro ball-head/tripod I use with my D7000 is terrific, but just too light-weight for the bigger, heavier F4. I have a late 80's/early 90's Canon-branded 'full-size' aluminum tripod with pan-tilt head that is very nice, fast to set up, light, and sturdy (and tall: I am 6' 4" and it cranks up to nearly my eye), but it is missing the Quick-release plate. I have poured over the B&H, Adorama, KEH web catalogs, and looked around some on eBay, but I can't find a direct match (or any close enough or well described enough to try for $15-20 each). No markings on it other than the "Canon" name, in their font.

Any ideas on sources for replacement QR plates? The fitting on the P/T head is rectangular, holds the QR plate in a similar way to my Benro, with a lever on the side that catches the plate, which also depress a couple of "fingers" which hold it open, and that may snap into the plate below. About 2" by 2.5" I have seen a few lists of plates, but I don't know if this tripod uses a "dove-tail", "arca-swiss," or other "universal" plate; I'd be interested to know how one tells which it is from looking at the tripod!

I need a QR plate source that has (almost) everything, or info for making workable substitutions. Despite it being a Canon , it's a really good tripod, a nearly-new $6 thrift store find, and I'd be out close to $200 for a comparable new model.

Referrals, ideas, offers, improvisations? Thanks.

--Will

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: QR plate replacement? How do I find one?

G