Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Tripods in first class to Costa Rica

kholt

US
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kholt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2012
Tue 27-Nov-12 02:41 AM

I know this topic has been beaten to death already and I have read more threads on this than I can count. However, I have to ask one last final question. I apologize up front for raising this topic yet again.

I am flying on American Airlines to Costa Rica from the U.S. I am flying on a first class ticket. My tripod is a RRS model that is CF (too light to be a weapon), no spiked feet, and 4 leg sections so it closes up fairly small. I plan to have it in the RRS soft shell tripod case separate from my Think Tank backpack which will hold the ball head.

Is it realistically possible I could encounter a problem? I see musical instruments carried onboard all the time and frankly a saxaphone is more likely an effective weapon than a 4 pound carbon fiber tripod with rubber feet. I realize logic of that sort is oftentimes irrelevant. If the airline objects, what is the procedure from that point? I can't imagine they would do anything special before just tossing it in the luggage hold like everything else.

Keith

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Tripods in first class to Costa Rica