Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!!

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Fri 23-Nov-12 12:47 PM | edited Fri 23-Nov-12 12:50 PM by walk43

So...with the D800 I have worked on my techniques and am getting many more keepers. BUT...when shooting on a tripod with my 70-200 or 300 f/4 with a TC, I am NOT satisfied with my results...just too soft. So in my opinion it is not my "technique" it is a combo of my equipment and process.

How do you folks that shoot birds at 50-100 ft (if I shoot at 15 ft I am very happy) get the results that I see in your galleries?? I am assuming that my dissatisfaction is due to vibration like from mirror slap, tripod/head stability etc. I use a wireless remote so the the shots are 'hands off'. This is a hobby for me, so I must admit that I do not have $2000+ in tripod/head equipment. But I would greatly appreciate it if some of you could tell me what you shoot, how and at what distances and show examples. Then the contributing factors that gave you those results and why.

I have a Giottos MT 9260 tripod with a Vanguard SBH-250 head and a Mantrotto lens support (you can check out my gear on my profile). Must I have a gimble?? Must I spend $800 for a tripod? Must I spend $400 for a heavier ball head?? I really don't want to since this is a hobby but I would like to know what contributes to sharp, distant bird feather detail that I see in the pics some of you have.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need PRO/EXPERIENCED telephoto bird advice!!

G