Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need tripod leg advice

slevine

US
50 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slevine Registered since 04th Nov 2012
Tue 06-Nov-12 10:50 PM

Hey guys,

I need to buy a high quality tripod and head for my D4.

After reading one of the posts in this forum, and researching accordingly, I've decided on the Markins Q-Ball Q20. One reason is because it has the built in panning base so that's one less thing I need to buy, and try to make stable with another base.

So...the good news is you don't have to sell me on that one.

I also need a set of CF legs to go with it. I see the recommendations for the Gitzo and that would be fine, but I have a couple of issues/requests. One is that I'm looking for a 65-69 inch height. The other is that the costs are really starting to get crazy, so I'm open to a different set of legs if it's high quality, stable, and light. As many have said, it's cheaper to buy the right thing in the first place, and I am, after all, shooting a 6K camera with a 2K lens so it's not a matter of $100 difference here or there.

What I need from you experts is the following.

1. Where should I buy these things? I normally have used Adorama and B&S but they don't carry them.

2. I'm concerned/confused about the different things I need to make this "system" work. I checked one website, and it appeared that you needed to buy the head for $400, and then the legs, but then you may need a special plate to attach the two together, and then it seems as though the quick release plate that goes on the camera isn't even included (jeez you think for $400 it would come with at least one of them).

3. So, can someone put together for me an actual supply list, with model numbers, and a place to buy them, preferably at a great price and from a vendor you trust.

Steve

Steve Levine
Shrewsbury, MA
http://stevelevine.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need tripod leg advice