Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Securing a Markins head on a Gitzo

Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US
240 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007
Sat 27-Oct-12 08:09 PM

My Markins head wants to come unscrewed from my Gitzo tripod, making it no more useful than a lever clamp setup because I have to loosen the ball to move the lens. If I have enough friction to keep the lens in place I have enough friction to remove the head by turning the lens. I've tried screwing it on tighter and that doesn't help in the long run.

I assume I've installed it wrong but I have no idea how. I have just removed the head. How do I put it back on properly?

There is a guide in the forum FAQ for putting a head on a different kind of tripod. It calls for using a tool I don't have, basically saying if you apply enough torque eventually it will get tight. I've applied a lot of torque by other means so I don't think that will work for me. Alternatively it suggests glue. I don't know what parts I want to glue together on my tripod.

My center column is still attached and I feel no urge to remove it. It ends in a threaded hole on top of which sits a disk with a hole. Attaching the head to these in the obvious way leaves the setup prone to come loose.

G