Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
parallaxphotos

US
43 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
parallaxphotos Registered since 07th May 2012
Tue 23-Oct-12 08:22 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my tripod setup. Most likely will stick with the aluminum legs, since they are sturdy (although so heavy they don't get out much). So I think this year's birthday request is for a new head.

My head is spinning reading through all the threads, so I figure, why not start a new one?

I have heard quite a lot of praise for the Markins heads, so I'm planning to go that route (I would of course love contrarian views...).

I'm shooting a D800, biggest lens is a 70-200. I could maybe see stepping up to moderately bigger glass, but not much further. It would seem that even the Q3 has more than sufficient overhead (65 lb rating should be good for 20 lbs of gear, which the 800 + lens seems to be far under).

What am I missing? Should I suck it up and go bigger?

G