Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I consider upgrading my tripod and/or ball head?

tegel

Ann Arbor, US
346 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tegel Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005
Wed 26-Sep-12 02:56 AM | edited Thu 27-Sep-12 11:38 AM by tegel

I have D700 along with a Gitzo 1541T and RRS BH-40. I shoot purely as a hobby and mostly when traveling. I'm heading to Florida in November and recently purchased the 300mm f4. I don't anticipate acquiring any of the really big zooms anytime soon, so I'm wondering if my current setup will be sufficient. From what I've read, both the Gitzo and RRS are rated to hold his body/lens combo, but I feel I may be pushing the limits when adding the 1.7 or 2.0 TC. I realize for long exposure times, I should probably go with at least a series 3 for this combo, but I will probably be shooting mostly birds with my long lens. I don't want to return from my trip disappointed, but I also don't want to spend the money unnecessarily. I haven't had a chance to test this setup yet (hopefully this weekend), but in the meantime, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I consider upgrading my tripod and/or ball h...

G