Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Clamping systems compatibility

Dallaspilot

Mandeville, US
318 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dallaspilot Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010
Thu 30-Aug-12 06:28 PM

Can anyone refer me to a cross-reference of tripod head types and clamping systems used? I have been unable to find I thorough explanation within the Nikonians website or via search engines. I purchased a Manfrotto tripod and a Manfrotto ballhead with a quick-release lever. I understood, apparently incorrectly, that it was Arca-Swiss compatible. Later, I bought a Kirk L bracket which should be Arca-Swiss compatible. However, the L bracket cannot be clamped to the ballhead. The Manfrotto clamps to plates with a bevelled, angle-cut base, whereas the Kirk seems designed for a tongue and groove clamping system.
In all my reading, I did determine that there are several systems out there, and I stayed away from some popular ones like RRS. I'd like to figure out what is compatible with what. Surely, someone has written about this somewhere.
Thanks in advance to anyone who offers a reference.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Clamping systems compatibility
Reply message Thank you for the information
Reply message My reply re: Clamping systems compatibility

G