Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My new tripod broke leg hinge

burchan

Sydney, AU
368 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
burchan Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012
Sun 19-Aug-12 12:26 AM | edited Sun 19-Aug-12 05:13 AM by burchan

Tripod is something I have never put to much priority into. For years I used cheap tripods without fail. I decided to upgrade to something better. I purchased Giottos MTL 8350B professional carbon fibre tripod. I never had the oportunity to use it. Leg hinge broke as I was testing height and then folding the legs in.

I needed to re-edit the post. After visiting camera store and comparing Manfrottos and (one only)_Gitzo tripods to my Giottos I still like the Giottos the best regardless of price difference.
Gitzo did not look any more solid in the hinge area.
Being used to braced legs tripods over the years was big change for me. With braced legs all force is in brace area of the legs and little in hinge area. With tripod legs without brace all force is in hinge area. The longer the legs and wider the spread force is multiplied. At full extent of legs at the lowest point brackets could not support the weight of tripod, ball head and camera with lens.
I did not think of this so tripoid is at the repair. Still regard the tripod as one of the best.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My new tripod broke leg hinge