Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sunwayfoto DT-01 Monopod Head and DDH-02 Panning Clamp

Enthus_Photo

US
94 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Enthus_Photo Registered since 16th May 2012
Mon 23-Jul-12 04:11 AM

I'd purchased a monopod because I was going to do some serious traveling over a five-week period: Beijing, Tokyo and Kamakura followed by a swing through Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, Budapest and Paris. I knew I'd be in a lot of dark places that wouldn't allow tripods, so I decided to get a monopod. I didn't like the handling or flexibility of bolting the camera/lens directly to the monopod, so I decided to get a monopod head with a clamp. But adding a clamp also made me realize that the L-plate on my body runs side-to-side and the foot plate on my beloved 80-200 f/2.8 runs back-to-front, which means I'd have to rotate the plate on the head when I wanted to use the 80-200. The alternative is a panning clamp for the head.

The folks at Sunwayfoto offered to let me test their latest head and clamp setup, and in summary I can say I love them. Great quality, easy handing and very small size made me really enthusiastic about using the monopod (which is a Sirui P-326).

I've put a full review on my blog:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/07/22/sunwayfoto-ddh-02-and-dt-01-review/

You can also see my first thoughts and a few other photos comparing their standard panning clamp to the DDH-02:
http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2012/05/23/sunwayfoto-monopod-head/

I still haven't figured out the trick for posting images here - apologies...

For the purposes of full disclosure, this setup (except the monopod) was provided to me by Sunwayfoto for review. If you've read my blog, I hope you believe that I'm a very straightforward guy - I say what I think, I admit what I don't know and I'd never let anything sway my review of a product: It works or it doesn't. I like it or I don't. I hate fiddly stuff and poor design, and I'll never hold back on those issues. I always try to be fair, whichever way that cuts. That said I'm just an enthusiast, not a pro. Any feedback or insight appreciated.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Visit my blog: enthusiastphotographer.com

G