Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Induro CT214 and BHD2 impressions

Photo_Art_W

US
986 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Photo_Art_W Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Wed 04-Jul-12 12:09 AM | edited Wed 04-Jul-12 09:33 PM by Photo_Art_W

I just purchased an Induro CT214 tripod and thought I'd post my initial impressions on it. First though, I'll mention my first tripod was a aluminum Bogen 3001 purchased many years ago (1986) which I passed along to my nephew after purchasing a Gitzo GT3541LS in 2008. I use my tripods mostly for landscape photography, macro work, and occasionally for portraits. I also have a Bogen 3021B Pro that I use around the house for macro work & portraits on occasion. I thought about selling it, but the resell value is very low so I'll probably end up keeping it. It is a very sturdy tripod, but a bit on the heavy side for any travel or outdoor use.

Anyways, after doing research for a lighter, shorter, 2 series tripod for traveling, I decided on the Induro CT214 after reading several very positive reviews about it, and the specifications fit my requirements (I'm 5' 11" by the way). It comes with a very nice carrying case (with room for a head attached to it) with a handle & shoulder strap, along with a toolkit (in its own little case) with spikes to replace the rubber feet if needed. The quality of materials appears to be very good, the finish and basic operation is similar to the Gitzo. Registering it online through Induros website I was surprised when I received the registration confirmation e-mail that showed the warranty is now extended from 5 years to 10 years.

I'm going to try the Induro BHD2 ball head on this new CT214 tripod. I own(ed) & use(d) the Markins M10 & M20 ball heads, as well as a Kirk BH-3 which is currently on the Bogen 3021B Pro legs. My local dealer had the Induro BHD3 that I checked out and it seemed to work very well, better than my Kirk BH-3. The tension control was smoother and more adjustable than the Kirk BH-3, closer to how the Markins ball heads work. The Kirk tension control is too abrupt and is far more sensitive when adjusting it to work effectively. It requires a fair amount of patience when composing a shot. The Induro BHD ball heads are a little more utilitarian in design compared to the Markins ball heads which are very well designed and crafted. But for a fraction of the price of the Markins, I don't really care what a ball head looks like as long as it performs well. The Induro BHD2 ball head is on order and I'll update my post after I receive it and try the whole system out.

The Gitzo GT3514LS is a very nice tripod indeed, but as I've downsized my gear it's a bit overkill for my current/future needs so that's why I decided to sell it. Plus, when I travel I'll be less concerned about having the Induro CT214 in my checked bag than a expensive 2 series Gitzo set of legs. Typically I remove the ball head and carry that on the plane in my carry on/photo backpack, so if the tripod should be stolen from my checked bag I've lost only part of the system. Most airlines allow only 1 carry on now a days and I wouldn't want to take the chance of trying to carry 2 items on the plane (photo backpack & tripod bag) and run into a less than understanding airline agent telling me I can't bring 2 items on the plane after I checked in my suitcase!

I'm interested to hear thoughts/impressions from others who own Induro tripods or ball heads. I may consider replacing the Kirk BH-3 with a Induro ball head, or maybe even one of their lower profile heads.

Thanks!
Art

http://www.artsplace.us

G