Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Heads for monopods

Grunion

Brisbane, AU
317 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Grunion Gold Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2010
Mon 25-Jun-12 08:22 AM

Hi all,

Just wondering what type of head is 'typically' being used on a monopod? I have a cheaper SLIK monopod with a pistol grip ball head but am considering getting a Manfrotto monopod and head to compliment my current tripod and three way head setup. The pistol grip took a bit of getting used to on the monopod, as you need to be careful to maintain stability when swivelling, but I have found it generally gives a good level of control (except when used with a long lens). I do not have a particular style of photography and am still finding my way, but am probably starting to lean towards bird photography.

I don't think a three way head would be practical on a monopod. Am I better off looking at a gear head, a ball head, or have some of you found using a pistol grip head is the better way to go? Also, have you noticed if there is an appreciable difference in the friction lock between pistol grips (joystick) and other ball heads in a similar price/quality range?

Cheers,

Dean

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Heads for monopods