Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why are we obsessed with tripod height?

billg71

Acworth, GA, US
1484 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
billg71 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006
Fri 22-Jun-12 12:33 AM | edited Fri 22-Jun-12 12:36 AM by billg71

I'll ask for forgiveness in advance, maybe I'm a heretic but I just can't come to grips with the idea that an ideal tripod/head combination elevates the viewfinder to the eye level of the photographer....

Isn't that what the average person with a smartphone does: walk up to a scene, raise the phone to where they can see it(eye level?) and shoot? And they walk away with a snapshot.

Yet I see countless threads here from members agonizing over what tripod/head combination to choose so they can walk up, splay the legs to the first stop and not have to stoop or look up.

I have marks on my tripod at eye-level leg extensions for long-lens use where the angle of view doesn't really matter but comfort does. Unless I'm shooting at 200mm+ I mostly ignore them, I'll stretch up and squat down looking for the perspective that gives me the best shot.

Shooting wide I'm almost always close to ground level to get some foreground detail and tripod height is a handicap, I want to get as low as I can. Eye-level height doesn't come into consideration in these circumstances(obviously).

Obviously I'm missing something but the concept that the ideal tripod/head combo jumps out of your car and unfolds itself at your particular eye level just doesn't strike me as a consideration.

So fill me in, what am I missing?

TIA,
Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why are we obsessed with tripod height?

G