Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Benro C2580F vs Gitzo GT2541 mini review (or even macro)

Vlad_IT

US
1354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Tue 19-Jun-12 02:26 AM | edited Tue 19-Jun-12 03:59 PM by Vlad_IT

Hey folks,

Well I treated myself with a trip to BH on Father’s Day. I came 20 minutes before the opening time and it was already a crowd from about 200-250 men waiting – some people know how to celebrate Father’s Day!

Nevertheless, among the other gifts from myself to myself I played with a thought of picking up a light compact tripod just for a vacation. Current Gitzo Series 2 is just too much of a price tag. After some conversation with a sales person and remembering the name Benro from this forum I asked to see a Benro 8-layer CF C2580F. It was not on the display so it was delivered to us from the store room brand new in the box. I mounted D7000 with 105mm Micro 2.8G VR lens just to the ¼” bolt on the tripod base (now head). All 4 sections extended, but the center column. I Put my D7000 in Live View mode and used LCD Zoom feature to zoom in to the max. I Pointed to the wall with some small text – just to see text large enough on my LCD screen.
Well, my immediate impression was OK. I tapped the lens a bit and it took about 3 seconds to stabilize the image. And the very next moment the image started to shake a bit again. Just from people walking by, the floor vibration were passed on to the lens.

The sales person said he was under impression that this tripod as good as Gitzo series 2. So I said why not to compare them right away. So we pulled out a display GT2541(L) version. All 4 legs extended without center column used. No head as well. On same conditions as above, the image got stabilized in about one second or so (after light tap on the lens). And passing by people did NOT trigger the image to be destabilized. Only tapping on the lens did.

So we are paying big money for a reason – there is no cheaper alternative to Gitzo And Series 2 tripod might be a stretch for a good macro rig.

Best Regards,
Vlad

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Benro C2580F vs Gitzo GT2541 mini review (or even m...

G