Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Hi, my name is Jim and I use a pan/tilt head . . .

Mr67GP

Jackson Twp, US
36 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Mr67GP Basic Member
Tue 27-Nov-01 01:05 AM

Counter to the overwhelming (and I am sure deserved) popularity of quality ball heads, I find I am quite happy with my silly three handled monster. I use a Bogen 3236 leg set with a Bogen 3039 p/t head. It is a little over-kill with my F5, but just right for my Pentax 67II. Note: this post is NOT intended to start yet another debate of p/t vs. ball head. However, I am interested in hearing from others who have found happiness with a p/t head. I have a question further on, if the use of p/t heads interests you.

I readily admit that the Bogen Hex plate quick release system leaves a bit to be desired. I am quite familiar with the Really Right Stuff and Kirk products relative to the Arca-Swiss QR system (although I have not used products from either company first hand). I had a brief conversation with Bryan Geyer or RRS today and got the response I expected. "ditch that head and get a B1". Well, sorry Bryan, I am not inclined to do that just yet.

Now (finally) we get to my query. I intend to get a RRS B2 Pro clamp and attach it to one of my numerous hex plates. I will probably do a little machining to both the hex plate and clamp to ensure a tight, no-twist interface. Has anyone else accomplished this? Any caveats? I truly believe that if done carefully and correctly, it will be as steady and secure as is the A-S clamp were part of the head itself. BTW, I am aware of the Kirk hex/A-S adapter, but it does not appeal to me for reasons I won't go into here.

Thanks for any input/feedback.

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Hi, my name is Jim and I use a pan/tilt head . . .

G