Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Monopod novice: need help regarding plate/head/plain

jadiniz

Estoril, PT
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010
Mon 21-May-12 10:50 PM

Good evening.

I'm searching, and reading, and browsing, and I'm not quite sure of my conclusions. Let me start by stating the problem:

1. Want better support for tele/low(ish) light;
2. Tripods are not an option (slow and cumbersome), nor a need (no long exposures). I do have one, but never use it, so it's a gonner;
3. Weight, speed of use and cost ARE factors;

This has led me to thinking: monopod! However...

4. A monopod without head, although fast, light and affordable, is of limited use, due to the angles/positioning/portrait orientation issues;
5. I just hate quick release plates: they take away the pleasure of using my gripped D7000 in handheld portrait orientation. Plus, if I'm not using them all the time, they are kind of a waste, and a pain to install/remove. If I were a tripod shooter, I'd think otherwise.

Is there any middle ground, a simple monopod head that uses no QR plate and adds no significant weight and cost to a decent monopod?

I do have a Giottos MML 3270B monopod with an MH 7001-652 ball head, and except for the plate issue, I like that combo very much. If I could just screw the top of the ball head directly to the camera mount...

Final note: none of my "consumer" lens has a tripod collar.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Monopod novice: need help regarding plate/head/plai...

G