Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Servicing my GT3541LS

glxman

South Australia, AU
6750 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
glxman Moderator Awarded for his high level skills, specially in Wildlife & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Sat 19-May-12 05:02 AM | edited Sat 19-May-12 06:13 AM by glxman

Hi Guys,
Just serviced my GT3541LS,
Thought I would share my experience here,
Tools and consumables,

Click on image to view larger version

You will see the 2 wrenches that were supplied with the tripod, white lithium grease, (from a bicycle shop), and I purchased an extra "bit" and a screwdriver to use this bit which, in our country is called a "torx", used now days for many fittings in new vehicles
This extra tool allows a 360 degree movement when undoing the leg sections from the plate
1. I numbered each leg before dis-assembly to the corresponding fitting just in case there was some variance as this does happen in manufacturing and is sometimes finely adjusted to fit,
2.Remove each leg section

3.IMHO, I would work on one leg section at a time, otherwise you will need a very large working space, (especially if you are taking images
)

4.Using one leg, the one from the tripod ,
Unscrew the locking sleeve all the way out
Remove the section out completely
Remove the friction bushing from the end of the tube
Now, you will find a small friction bushing inside the locking sleeve
Carefully remove this by easing it out of the groove, this is the only "fiddly" part of the process so take your time as the bush is somewhat fragile
Get a clean rage and clean all areas
Your layout should look something like this before removing the locking sleeve

Then, disassembled

Finally, assembly
It is suggested that the top section is serviced and assembled first and done with the following sequence,
1. make sure all sections have been cleaned first, that includes all threads
2. grease locking sleeve threads making sure not have any grease on the front and back few threads as it will travel too far making dis assembly necessary to remove excess grease
If you do over grease, just remove access from each end with a rag
3.insert the compression bushing back in the locking sleeve, take care and ensure it is fitting evenly in its groove
4. Slide the locking sleeve over the leg section and fit the friction bearing bearing at the top and insert into the upper section,
This can be slow, just pinch between your fingers, don't force it in but slowly rotate until you get it, if not, remove ,clean, and retry
5.At this stage, grease the thread on the upper leg and remove excess, (I left this grease process until last as every time you put the section down, grease goes all over the place)
6.screw on the locking sleeve and check it all runs smoothly, at first go it may not, just a matter of rotating the shaft a little until it finds its "groove", don't know why, just works that way,
7. Just reassemble the other sections in the same manner and continue with the other 2 legs
8. Nearly done
Clean all washers and surfaces where the leg will rotate,
I found quite a bit of dust and grit here which was surprising
I put a small amount of grease on all moving surfaces, except the threads to stop loosening
Now I only need a gentle pressure on the locking sleeve to secure and the leg sections run smoothly once again
Have fun,
Regards,
Gary
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Subject
ID