Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Matthews Ballheads

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2807 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Wed 16-May-12 04:51 PM

I wanted to ask if anyone here is familiar with the Matthews series of ball heads. I know they aren't a big name in photography circles, but in the world of Cinema, they are a giant of the industry. I hadn't had much use for ball heads until quite recently, but they are about to become a critical piece of my work.

I ordered a Redged and a Matthews head 2 weeks ago. Both seem ok. The Matthews is very smooth, with great friction and an elliptical ball. So this week I ordered the larger head.

I won't be using these on a tripod, but on a floor plate. My needs are to have the camera and lens locked down and NOT MOVE. I don't need to pan smoothly, or anything else. So locking power and stability trumps all for me.

Anyway, just wondered how these compare to some of the other options out there.

Thanks,

-P

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Matthews Ballheads

G