Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Attaching cameras to Think Tank Belt System

jgould2

Fort Pierce, US
4628 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007
Sat 28-Apr-12 03:22 AM

Hi all.

I have been pleased with my BlackRapid straps (one single and one double) but for landscape work I have been trying out the Think Tank Belt System. I can carry my D3s w/24-120 lens on a single BlackRapid strap and 5 pouches on the Think Tank belt. Filter pouch/Water pouch/Camera pouch (for D700)/Lens pouch (for Sigma 12-24)/Lens pouch (for either 70-200 or 70-300). But I have to install the lens on the D700 in the field (sometimes very dusty).

So I wanted a way to carry two cameras with lenses attached. The two camera setups mentioned above handle 95% of my landscape work. I could have tried the Cotton Carrier or something similar but decided to see what I could come up with utilizing my Think Tank belt.

I purchased two Arca-Swiss type clamps (1 1/2" wide), punched two holes in the belt amd made two plates about 2"x2 3/4"x1/8". I drilled and tapped the plates for the screw and made two 1"x1" 'nuts' out of the same 1/8" steel and drilled and tapped those as well. I purchased two longer screws to fit. The clamp doesn't rotate since there is plenty of compression available in the belt. See the pictures for more details.

This simple system seems to work quite well for me. The cameras ride securely on my hips and are easy to grab and slap on a tripod. I can crouch, squat or kneel with ease. After field testing the rig for 5 days at Bishop, CA I am very satisfied.

So, I can now carry four pouches on my Think Tank belt: Filters/Water/Long Lens/Empty Lens Changer.

Click on small pictures to veiw larger versions.

Click on image to view larger version

Or go to this gallery to see more images:
https://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/21915

As always any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.

JIM

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Attaching cameras to Think Tank Belt System

G